The carbon emissions related to the construction industry’s high energy consumption and resource use are considerable.
Bouygues Energies & Services UK is on a mission to support our clients to reach Net Zero and drive down our own carbon emissions. To make this a reality, Bouygues Energies & Services UK sites are exploring an energy efficiency solution called Gaia Automate.
Gaia Automate leverages artificial intelligence (AI) and motion sensor software to identify, monitor, and reduce the power consumption of construction sites. The solution can be retrofitted to any site power source, new or existing, to pinpoint specific areas across sites consuming disproportionate energy and to divert this unnecessary power away from non-critical loads. Power is then supplied only where and when required.
Thanks to this solution we will be able to achieve our carbon-reduction targets by maximising site efficiency and lowering emissions.
How does it work
After installation sensors, and time sequencing software monitor the power consumption and fuel usage of the site for one week. The sensors monitor things as seemingly trivial as internal cabin temperature, opening of doors and windows, and air quality, and can draw in data from local weather stations and shift patterns to support its readings!
After one week’s monitoring Gaia Automate identifies potential savings by area before proceeding to delivering energy efficiencies by automatically reducing HVAC demand. Typically, this is done through switching non-critical loads (i.e. heating and air conditioning) and implementing peak shaving, such as switching off heaters during a pick-up event or creating sequencing patterns to turn lights off in accordance with shift patterns. Although the site manager can override these selections, this all happens without the need for manual intervention.
By using AI we can identify and realise savings:
- Gaia Automate dramatically and rapidly reduces the respective carbon footprints and energy costs of sites, reducing the reliance on fossil fuels and moving BYES closer to achieving the ambitious carbon-reduction targets.
- It can cut construction site emissions by up to an impressive 80% and guarantees at least a 50% reduction in running costs! Gaia Automate has been trialled across several sites in the UK with huge successes and savings across the board.
- The solution improves the working environment in construction compounds (emissions, noise, etc.) and the outward appearance of construction
Llanwern Solar Farm is the largest subsidy-free solar scheme in the UK. The farm consists of over 187,500 solar modules spanning 300 acres. Thanks to Gaia Automate, it was able to achieve remarkable savings:
- Significant carbon emissions savings of 125,617kg and sizeable diesel fuel saving of almost 50,000 litres
- Significant energy usage reduction of 114,586 KWh
- Impressive financial savings of £28,400
To see how much your site could save on energy each week with Gaia AutoMate, you can use this calculator here.
Level 1: Proof of concept or lab test
Level 2: Tested under real life conditions
Level 3: Commercial solution