An adult breathes approximately 15,000 litres of air every day, so breathing quality indoor air is critical for good health. Breathing polluted air can cause negative health implications as well as lack of concentration and productivity.
What is Airlite?
Airlite is an innovative and environmentally friendly paint that actively purifies the air. Airlite copies nature to break down pollutants, acting as a catalyst, rather than absorbing or filtering them out.
- Naturally antimicrobial, killing bacteria on the surface and degrading viral proteins.
- Low CO2 footprint; between 62% and 76% lower than that of conventional paint.
- Prohibits mould growth, thereby reducing airborne spores and allergens.
- Contains no VOCs (respirable irritants).
- No hazardous or flammable waste.
- Certified Cradle to Cradle Gold, aligned to the circular economy, manufactured using 40% recycled materials in a factory powered entirely by renewable energy.
- Contributes to all major certification schemes, such as BREEAM, LEED and WELL.
Airlite was identified as a revolutionary product that could bring multiple benefits to all stakeholders with minimal cost and effort. A London school was selected as a trial project for Airlite roll-out. Air quality was such a concern, windows in the school were prohibited from being opened, often causing rooms to be excessively warm in summer months.
We partnered with Airlite to deliver a sustainable and environmentally friendly solution helping tackle indoor air quality in our offices and contracts. Many of these are located in areas where the issue of air quality is paramount. Toxic nitrogen dioxide is the main pollutant that we sought to address in the most environmentally and sustainable way.
Client and User Benefits
Health, Safety & Wellbeing
In addition to the improvement of air quality, other impacts on health, safety and wellbeing were also appraised. Reducing VOCs has a direct beneficial impact on the health and safety of painters and contractors present at the time of painting (VOCs are linked to respiratory disease). It also impacts occupants after the paint has been applied.
Contractors noted that working with Airlite significantly reduced smell and left them feeling ‘clearer headed’. Due to the lack of VOCs and smell, Airlite can be applied whilst buildings are occupied with doors and windows closed. This impacts customer satisfaction as well as potential costs, with reduced downtime and painting not limited to out-of-hours works. Airlite has been independently tested at the below institutions to confirm it eliminates up to 99.9% of bacteria from any surface.
Switching from traditional paints to Airlite supported both Bouygues Energies & Services and the client towards their sustainability, environmental, innovation, air quality and employee health and wellbeing goals.
Testing air quality requires results to be gathered over time, rather than a simple spot test. To gain meaningful insight to the effectiveness of Airlite, over 86,000 readings were taken over a period of one month.
- NO2 concentration was 96% less in the classroom painted with Airlite. Independent tests showed Airlite reduces NO2 levels by up to 88.8% after 60 minutes. Airlite’s environmental credentials are unparalleled in paint. VOC free, powder based and made with recycled raw materials, Airlite significantly reduces the CO2 footprint, VOCs and waste.
Changing from a conventional paint to Airlite offered substantial environmental and sustainability benefits to both Bouygues Energies & Services, and our client. Airlite transformed surfaces into active air purifiers, naturalising pollutants and killing bacteria for the lifetime of the application (up to 10 years). This will have a beneficial impact on our workforce and building occupants for years to come.
Level1 : Proof of Concept or lab test
Level 2 : Tested under real-life conditions
Level 3 : Commercial solution